Federal loans and work-study

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents only

Who Should Apply:  The U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA) processes and administers the federal loan financial aid packages for our students.  Students are normally able to meet all or part of their federally determined financial need through student loans and/or work-study awards.  The OFA Web site has a "guide for graduate students", as well as information about work-study eligibility, grants, loans, and the child care subsidy.  Priority deadlines for submission of applications to the OFA vary, so please contact OFA with any questions you may have.

How to Get Started:  Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Instructions, forms, and deadlines are listed on their Web site.  Request that a report be sent to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Title IV Code 002325.  The FAFSA form is used to determine the amount of federal aid (workstudy and federally subsidized and unsubsidized loans) for which you are eligible. The process requires reapplication each year you are a student at the University of Michigan.

Find out about workstudy positions on the Student Employment website.